Monday 3 October 2011

My worst birthday prezzie

Did some clearing out yesterday and came across what probably ranks as my worst present ever.
It was a bow.
Bow as in bow and arrows.
That's it.

I can't even remember who bought it or what they must have been thinking of at the time.The reason that it was useless was because I lived in a 2up 2 down terraced house with a little back yard in the middle of a Lancashire coal and cotton town.
After watching a good cowboy film, I may have imagined I lived in the mid-West prairies but in reality, I was about 20 feet from a massive cotton mill and surrounded not by greenery but by brickery.
I would have been about ten and probably not much longer than the bow, which measures a goodly 5 feet.
It even came with deadly steel-tipped arrows that would have caused considerable damage to John Wayne's torso had I ever been strong enough to draw the bow and had he been daft enough to be walking in front of me at the time.
I was a mere slip of a lad and simply hadn't the strength to use the damn thing., coupled with the fact that when I did pull and let go, the string invariably hit my wrist with a painful Twang! and I dropped the bugger immediately.
Well I didn't know there was such a thing as a wristguard.
In the absence of a suitable target (which wasn't provided), I simply stood a few feet from our back gate and let fly the deadly arrows which rebounded alarmingly close to my head, leaving nasty holes in the gate.
Of course, that resulted in a clout round the ears from me mam putting an end to my hopes of representing my country at Archery in the Olympics.
So I stuck it in a cupboard and there it remained all these years until yesterday when it brought back painful memories.
I'm going to use it to grow runners beans up and suggest if some idiot buys you a longbow for your birthday, that you do the same.

2 comments:

  1. My dads an archer, and a very good one at that. Well, not always. One day he shot the nagging old witch who lived next door dead. He told the police that he was cleaning the bow and it went off accidentally.

    After further investigation into the character of the old biddy they let him off and gave him the Iron Cross.

    My dad? He's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll remember that Wendy. Sounds like a cunning ploy and typical of yer dad.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments here but please be gentle with me. Thank you.