Saturday 1 October 2011

Me £11-26 Tesco 0

The other day, I went into Tesco and bought 2 bottles of Spanish Ruede white wine for £10. Or rather I didn't.
There was a sign saying get 2 for £10 but when I got home I found the twots had charged me £15-18 which works out at £7 something per bottle.
I wasn't having that.
I went in today with a face like Hitler when he got his (no I can't use that simile). Well I had a face like an angry farmer's arse. I've seen pictures of those on the internet somewhere. I'm unlucky that way.
So I collared a terrified assistant manager and demanded he follow me to the wines and spirits which upon seeing my rictus expression, he dropped what he was doing (a case of Marmite - made a helluva mess) and meekly followed close behind.

I pointed at the sign that said 2 for £10 and I said: "Now son, 'ow much for 2 bottles of that wine?"

He looked at me, then looked round for help. I said somewhat more stentorianly "'ow much for two bottles of that wine?"

"Er, £10?"

I said: "That's what it says but look a little closer.

He bent down gingerly (what's ginger gotta do with bending? - don't answer)

I jabbed an angry digit at the offer closing date which was September the Bloody 6th!

"That's when it finished and you charged me the full amount. That sign should not be there"

"Oh" he said.
"Oh" I said, more sarcastically than his "Oh"


"I do apologise. Come with me sir" So I went with him this time and he led me to a young lady in customer service who he ordered to sort out the cash return.

She jabbed at a calculator and announced "We owe you £11-26" sir. Tesco refund double what you have been overcharged. She's got her sums wrong but that's par for the course these days and I wasn't gonna be arsed pointing it out.

I didn't know that, so that's a tip. Look for out-of-date offers with signs still up and buy hundreds of whatever's on sale, then go next day and get double your money back.

Bingo! Back of the net! Resulto!

By the way. I wonder how many customers not quite as eagle eyed as me got screwed and never knew? Probably bloody dozens.

Fellow shoppers, always check your receipts,.

3 comments:

  1. A sign I saw in Tesco's.

    "Price drop! Only £2.99 each! Buy two for ONLY £6".

    Well, I thought, what a bargain, so I bought two. Didn't I do well?

    True.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your profile thingy. I am one of the rare breed of people who don't even own a telly, and haven't done for 12 years, can't stand the crap the TV companies churn out as entertainment; so I've never seen you in action. Sorry Dave (not really...)

    My court case for not buying a TV licence comes up next month. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not all crap Keith. There's the Flowerpot Men.
    I believe your Tesco story. See my Sainsbury pic below.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments here but please be gentle with me. Thank you.