Friday 23 September 2011

Bird Talk

Took a walk past where the farmers had been gathering silage today. The piles of mown grass were making an excellent buffet for one of our most colourful native birds: the Goldfinch. I have seen them hanging on the stems of dandelions picking the seeds off. They must be incredibly light to do that.
As I walked along the path, in the distance I saw about a dozen crows with a magpie amongst them. His black and white plumage stood out in such company.
They were enjoying an animated chatter but on my approach, they looked towards me and the crows flew one way and the magpie in the opposite direction as if they had been guiltily caught conspiring.
I wonder if birds communicate with another branch of the specie? It certainly looked that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments here but please be gentle with me. Thank you.